Term 2: Canadian National Identity and Nationalism
Ideas and Realities
“Nations are Narrations”
What are Canadians?
What is Canadian?
Myths and National Identity
“A nation is a group of people who share the same illusions about themselves”
- D. Francis, National Dreams
- Quote is attached to “nations are narrations”
- Aka: stories, legends and illusions
- Collective memory is about creating myths
- E.g. the myth about all Canadians either play or like hockey is an illusion
- Share important truths about what it means to be a part of a nation
- Myths can have a negative spin- they are not necessarily lies- they can have
some truth in them
* How do myths play a role in creating and sustaining national identity in Canada? *
- Myths change as national identity changes
What is the purpose of myths?
- Myths are elements of national identity
- Allow us to define ourselves as C