CHSC 2P49 September 4, 2013
Lecture One: Health and Behavior/Theories
- Study relations between behavior/psych states/mind (i.e. stress) and physical health (and
Domains or Foci of Study…
1. Theories of Health Behaviour.: why we do what we do from a health perspective & how we can
change it. Examples: health belief model, transtheoretical model, cognitive-behaviour theory,
self-efficacy, IMB, social engineeering
2. Health Promotion and Maintenance: how to keep people well & healthy. Examples: improving
eating habits, young people to engage in safer sex.
3. Behaviour (psych/social) Aspects of Prevention & Treatment of Illness. Examples: help to
manage stress to prevent illness, help people to adjust to illness
4. Etiology and Correlates of Health/Illness: study behaviour (psych & social) causes of illness.
Examples: study if and how "stress" affects illness; study how alcohol consumption affects
5. Study Health Care System & Formulation of Policy. Examples: information on procedures
affecting patients (should you inform?)
Why Study Health and Behavior?
1. Interesting. Example: number of health & behaviour websites/magazines available.
2. Changing Pattern of Illness make Health & Behaviour Important. Less mortality from acute
disorders in industrial, western world; ex. TB. More mortality from chronic illnesses (heart
disease, cancer). But why Health & Behaviour useful for Chronic Illnesses? A) Behavioural
(psych/social) factors help cause chronic diseases! Examples: lifestyle (diet, drugs, smoking,
inactivity, stress). B) Behavioural (psych/social) issues arise out of chronic conditions (chronic
illness/treatment requires psych adjustment). Examples: help pain, treatment regimens, &
family of cancer patient.