For unlimited access to Class Notes, a Class+ subscription is required.
The Platinum Rule
- Two weeks ago, we looked at:
- Do unto others as they would have you do unto them.
Ample evidence shows that cultures of the world are getting more and more interconnected and that
the business world is becoming increasingly global. As economic borders come down, cultural barriers
will most likely come down, cultural barriers will most likely go up and present new challenges and
opportunities in business.
- Robert J. House, 2004, p. 1 In Culture, Leadership and Organization
- Project GLOBE is a long term analysis of cultural patterns directed at Organizational Behaviour in
an intercultural setting.
- Robert J House was a researcher in management and organizational behaviour at U of T, the
University of Pennsylvania, Wharton school among others.
- Global Leadership and Organizational Behaviour Effectiveness
- Specifically directed at business needs, examining leadership qualities as they relate to the
changing needs of intercultural business.
- Like Hofstede’s work, Project GLOBE studied a large amount of data, but in many
intercultural business settings:
o Roughly 20000 samples from 61 cultures
o Investigating the qualities necessary for effective leadership across cultures
- Unlike Hofstede, Project GLOBE measured both
o Idea values
o Actual responses
Comparing these results to describe cultures’ desired leadership qualities
- Project GLOBE’s dimensions reflect Hofstede’s dimensions and Kluckhohn and Strodbeck’s
o Power distance (H)
o Uncertainty Avoidance (H)
o In-Group Collectivism (H Split)
o Institutional Collectivism (H Split)
o Gender Egalitariansim (H Split)