Political Science T1 L6 Political Socialization.docx
Political socialization: Shaping the Political Mind
- Where do beliefs and values come from?
- Humans partly shaped by nature but also by the hand that rocks the cradle
- Life long
- Process through which attitudes toward and knowledge of political matters are passed on within
a society (p.113) shared values = social stability?
Accident of birth
- How different would you be had you been born into wealth and poverty?
- We don’t pick our families. We don’t pick our friends
Agents of Political Socialization
- People and institutions that convey political attitudes and values to other in society
- Family, education, mass media, religious institutions, peer groups, work place, leaders, state
“All children are born into totalitarian regimes.”
- Earliest info
- Decision making rules
- Gender roles