Popular Culture - September 18, 2012
What will I do with a degree (or course) in popular culture?
Flexibility - popular culture is always changing and being refined (the word culture means different
things to different people)
- Popular culture “surrounds us the way water surrounds a fish, as a transparent environment
crucial to our survival” (John G. Nachbar)
- Developing logical arguments
- Explaining ideas (vocally, though writing, other means)
- Critical thinking skills- how to ‘read’ what you encounter
- Always literally?
- Or do we need to look more broadly at the ‘process’ and the representations?
- As we did for ‘Phil Collins’
Old Spice ads:
- Could we ‘r