SOCI 3P02 Lecture Notes - Barney Glaser, Qualitative Research, Content Analysis
This preview shows half of the first page. to view the full 3 pages of the document.
What meaning does that sentence have to you?
Qualitative data analysis challenges
o Transcripts, field notes, documents, video, pictures
o Impossible to remember everything inside of it
o Need to connect the cases to eachother
o Show wider significance
o How it relates
- Not mechanical
o Analysis is ongoing
- Inferences via systematic coding
- Technique for making inferences by systematically coding information
- Can be done to any type of data, including interview trandscripts, videos
- Counting and categorizing
o Count the amount something occurs
- Distinguish levels of content
Literal or surface meaning within the content
E.g. if you use this toothpaste you’ll get white teeth
Deep and abstract meaning
E.g white teeth gives you sex appeal
Applying content analysis
- What aspects of the dvision of household labour interest you?
- How prevalent are those aspects in the data?
o E.g. gender? Culture? Paid work? Time availability?
o What are you going to pay attention to? E.g. what do women do, what do men do
- Its not just about counting who has traditional labour (numbers don’t matter)
o Goal is to develop the meaning behind it and develop interesting categories and
patterns that emerge
- Just the preliminary findings
You're Reading a Preview
Unlock to view full version