WGST 1F90 Lecture Notes - Lecture 7: Nail Polish, Diagnostic And Statistical Manual Of Mental Disorders, Gender Dysphoria
DepartmentWomen's and Gender Studies
Course CodeWGST 1F90
This preview shows page 1. to view the full 4 pages of the document.
Lecture Title: Dude Look Like a Lady
ATTACH ALL QUOTES AND PUT IT AT THE END OF ESSAY ASSIGNMENT
1 quote link to 3-4 readings
1. The term transgender reminds us that gender is not stable, inherent or natural.
2. Transgender pushes the binary structure of gender and reminds us of the liminal.
3. Increase in the number of people identifying as transgender or gender blending, bending and
or gender queer, gender independent.
4. We need to rethink the normalcy of gender and is assumed naturalness (reduces
Living in the Liminal
1. Transgender politics opens up new ways to be or think about gender.
2. Alerts us to the notion of a third gender.
3. This third gender has been thought of as occupying the liminal space between the dualistic
masculinity and femininity.
4. An accepting approach to gender ambiguity has not been prevalent in the Western world
where binary rules.
5. Many cultures have a place for a third
6. Anthropological studies reveal that transgendered people express themselves in ways that
are culturally quite distinct, with frames of reference that are not always translatable.
7. In NA and particularly within First Nations indigenous groups, we have reference to the two-
Spirit- two spirits occupying one body. They have distinct gender roles, for example two spirits
perform ceremonial rites in funerals.
8. Viewed as having two spirits occupying one body.
You're Reading a Preview
Unlock to view full version