Architecture Urban
Course
ARCU 4600
Professor
Benjamin Gianni
Semester
Winter

Description
Post Wthld War II Urbanism – Lectures 1 and 2 Jan 10  2014 Urbanization • What is it? o Tendency of people to move from rural to the cities; people begin to aggregate in intense groups identified as cities o For the most part of history, people lived in the countryside and only a small number lived in cities o Rate of urbanization accelerates significantly today o Our relationship to the landscape has changed – most economic activity and ability to survive relates to the  connection to the city • Why it happens: o More social and economic opportunities o Education typically better too o Basically, out of the farmer’s kids, one will inherit it or they will divide it – not possible to subsist on the land after  man of generations  Therefore, they (the non­eldest brother) move into the city to make a new way of life  Other option: join the army as an opportunity of employment • Advantage of having them join the army: they get killed • Death rate kept this process in check – from health, army and infant mortality o Land property in the hands of the few – forced off land o Drought and natural disaster o One’s ability to farm land affected by technological innovation – affected number of workers needed and cultivated  th (beginning in 18  century) – put pressures on cities o Global trade leading to industrialization – on hand, there are things pushing people out of the country, and on the  other, there are more attractions within the city • Where and When? th th o Europe and North America – 19  and 20  century o China recently – past 20­25 years at a rapid rate  China had been colonial; then moved into a capitalist society  WWII, then communism, prevented significant urban change; not until the death of Mao that China could  urbanize o Beginning to happen in Africa o Those that were colonial powers, or those who got out of colonial powers quickly were the first places to urbanize o Britain – industrialized through colonization; natural and raw materials exploited from colonies, manufactured in  Britain, then resold to the colonies  Happened in U.S. and India o Places like China didn’t get out from colonization early, unlike the Americans  o Eventually became cheaper to manufacture in the colonies; saving transportation costs and cheaper labour o Country A industrializes, moves labour elsewhere; country B industrializes, and moves their labour elsewhere – a  cycle of industrialization  Everything affected by politics; i.e. the rise of communism in China (which was against capitalism) o Countries were ‘politically/articially suppressed’ (i.e. China with communism) o Once China industrializes, the cheap labour moves towards countries like Bangladesh; surge of people then flocking  towards cities for jobs o Africa also urbanizing, but many companies not confident enough to invest in Africa  Are being forced off into land and into cities; fewer opportunities in rural  City as the only source for opportunity  Huge political conflicts also drive people off the land o Humankind will be almost exclusively urban in the near future • What forms does it take? o People pushed towards cities – social and political factors o Many different forms o i.e. in Tehran; those coming into the city are not socially accepted by those already within the city o affected by who’s allowed to build and who can sell? o When there is vacant land around a city; urbanization likely will take place here  i.e. South America and big plots of unused land o Development also affected by transportation structure; tends to happen close to where economic activities are o Form will also be affected by finances available; if people can afford to build  i.e. religious organizations, government o climate also affects development patterns; many of those in south America and India would not happen in North  America (i.e. we can’t survive in tin shacks) o Urban form also affected by state of economy;  • The form urban growth takes • Engels makes a distinction between two different forms of cities (land­rich and developed countries) • Land­rich developed countries (US, Canada and Australia) • Developed countires (Europe and Japan)
More Less

Related notes for ARCU 4600

OR

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit