ARTH 1200 (38)

ARTH 1200 Oct.7.pdf

3 Pages
Unlock Document

Carleton University
Art History
ARTH 1200
Peter Coffman

Oct. 7 2013 Mid-term: 90 minutes  5 slide IDs  5 unknown slides  3 short answers  1 Essay question -> Posting question on CU learn this weekend. **I was going to insert pictures from the power point like I always do but the Prof. didn’t post it on CU learn. I apologize. Colloseum  Organized orders:  Doric order (always on the bottom: man)  Ionic order (always in the middle: woman)  Corinthian order (always on the top: child)  Fourth order of the colloseum:  Flat engaged columns - pilasters  Capital similar to Corinthian and ionic  Closest to composite  Composite: combination of Corinthian and ionic (only speculated).  Total of 5 orders:  Doric*  Tuscan  Ionic*  Corinthian*  Composite *Most important The Basilica Use:  Law enforcement  Public functions  Gatherings Description:  Aisle: Rows of columns on each side of rectangle  Nave: Middle - rectangular  Apse: Semi-circle at either end of nave  Collonade: Row of columns  Gallery: Gallery is above the aisle. Parallel.  Clerestory: Above the gallery and aisle with windows.  Coffered ceiling: Flat ceiling with coffers  Made of wood  Wood is lighter Example:  Basilica Ulpia, Rome, 98-117 CE  Basilica, Trier, Germany, early 4 century Public Baths Use:  Social ritual  Cold waters, hot waters, saunas  Business meetings  “spas” of today Description:
More Less

Related notes for ARTH 1200

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.