Biology
Course
BIOL 1004
Professor
Tamy Superle
Semester
Fall

Description
Outline of Lecture 04 Limb embryology I. Timeline of limbthevelopment th - Starts in 4 week, finished by 8 week - Upper limb initiated 3-4 days before lower limb and stays ahead II. Development of the three limb axes A. Limb initiation - Limb bud is mesenchyme covered by ectoderm - Bones originate from somatic mesoderm, muscles from somitic mesoderm - FGF8 from Intermediate mesoderm initiates AER - Then, FGF8 from AER stimulates growth in progress zone B. Proximal/Distal Axis - Pattern of HOX genes (more distally) controls P/D differentiation - Defects (early teratogen) lead to limb truncations C. Anterior/Posterior Axis - SHH from the mesenchymal ZPA (posterior) controls A/P patterning - Defects lead to ectrodactyly (too few digits) or polydactyly (too many digits) - Webbing of finger and toes removed by apoptosis - Defects (e.g. MSX2, BMP4) lead to syndactyly (fused digital soft tissue) D. Dorsal/Ventral Axis - Not well understo
More Less

Related notes for BIOL 1004

OR

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit