Biology
Course
BIOL 1103
Professor
Tamy Superle
Semester
Fall

Description
Outline of Lecture 02 Immunoglobulins I, Structure and Function I. Innate vs. Adaptive Immunity A. Innate immunity: quick response to general invariant microbe features B. Adaptive immunity: delayed response to diverse antigens, highly specific II. Features of Adaptive Immunity A. B and T lymphocytes mediated B. B cells produce antibody, recognize Ag outside of cells 1. Soluble antibody serves… To neutralize viruses and toxins To facilitate phagocytosis (opsonization) To activate complement 2. Membrane bound antibody activates lymphocytes mediates Ag uptake for presentation by T cells C. T cells have TCR, can recognized Ag expressed inside cells D. Clonal selection theory: random Ab diversity and clonal expansion E. Memory causes secondary response to be faster and more specific III. Antibody Structure A. Heavy chains 50 kDa variable (VH) and constant (CH1-3) regions μ, δ, γ, α, ε chains corresponding to Ab class B. Light chains 25 kDa variable (VL) and constant (L ) regions κ (major), λ chains C. Other
More Less

Related notes for BIOL 1103

OR

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit