BIOL 2107 Lecture 4: January 29: Chromosomal Mapping and Inheritance

78 views24 pages

Document Summary

Remember for midterm * co/incomplete/dominance, blood types, pleiotropy of sickle-cell anemia, environmental effects on phenotype, sex determination in fruit flies and humans, Chromosomes only duplicate once whereas nuclei divide twice. First, maternal and paternal homologs recombine and create new combinations of alleles. After recombination, homologs segregate to different daughter cells. There are five additional stages to prophase i (leptotene, zygotene, pachytene, diplotene, and diakinesis). Depending on the species, length of time in prophase i can be short or very long. The first three substages of prophase i: leptotene, zygotene, and pachytene. Homologs pair and are held together by the synaptonemal complex. The last two substages of prophase: diplotene and diakinesis. Th synaptonemal complex dissolves and chromatids in each tetrad become visible. In metaphase i and anaphase i, homologs move to opposite poles. Centromeres do not divide and sister chromatids to do separate. Prophase i of meiosis at very high magnification.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers