Business (629)
BUSI 1003 (20)

BUSI 1003 - Class 5

3 Pages
Unlock Document

Carleton University
BUSI 1003
Patti Proulx

Class 5 Business Chapter 6 Classifying Receivables - Accounts receivable o Credit terms extended to customers  For example customer cant pay turn the account receivable into a note receivable (promisary note) o If a promisary note is given with a time of 30 days and it is not paid what do you do?  Contact & question, Freeze future transactions, charge interest. - Notes Receivable o More formal agreement o Includes a maker and payee - Other Receivables o Can include interest receivable, taxes receivable, and receivables from employees or officers Accounting for bad debts - Direct write off method o Records bad debt expense only when an account is deemed to be worthless  Reduce accoutns receivable and write off the debt.  The problem with direct write off method is that it is usually done many many months after the initial sale, for example an invoice might be dated for tday but I might not give up on it until December. December being when I give up. • Matching concept comes into play when I want to record the expenses pertaining to the sales in the same period, I want to match the expense to the revenue it gives rise too, Bad debts are an expense and should be matched to the revenue that it gives rise too, so whenever the sale is made you would increase retained earnings for that month. So if a bad debt ends in December you still have to record it for February, making direct write off a violation of direct write off method. o TL;DR: Direct write off method is always in violation of matching concept because you should always record debts for the month
More Less

Related notes for BUSI 1003

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.