BUSI 2701 Lecture Notes - Lecture 2: Individualism, Masculinity, Ikea
This preview shows half of the first page. to view the full 2 pages of the document.
● Language does more than just help people communicate with each other; it helps define
● In countries with more than one language, one also often finds more than one culture.
Culture and the Workplace
● How a society’s culture affects the values found in the workplace is of considerable
importance to an int’l business with operations in different countries.
● 6 dimensions that summarize different cultures (Hofstede)
○ Power distance
○ Individualism v. collectivism*
○ Uncertainty avoidance*
○ Masculinity v. femininity
○ Long term v. short term orientation*
○ Indulgence v. restraint
● Culture isn’t constant, it evolves over time
● Several studies suggest that economics be an important factor in societal change
● The cultures of society may also change as they become richer because economic
progress affects a number of other factors, which in turn will influence culture
● Doing business in different cultures requires adaptation to conform to the value system
with the value system and norms of that culture
● Adaptation embraces all aspects of an int’l firms’ operations in a foreign country,
You're Reading a Preview
Unlock to view full version