Lesson 1: Canada’s Role in Global Issues
Why study Canada in terms of global issues?
• The world and global issues are a large part of out identity as Canadians (values, beliefs, etc.)
• It is important to remember how Canadians and the Canadian government try to change the
world – foreign affairs, diplomacy, economics, development, migration
• Important to remember that the world changes us (trade, environment, technology)
Cherished beliefs in Canada: do they hold up?
• Canada is a leader in environmental protection
• Canada is a peacekeeper
• Canada welcomes immigrants
o Does Canada actually welcome immigrants?
*Post an issue or a belief to cuLearn that you think is important to Canadians and how you or
Canadians relate to it
Ad for the Conservative party ran in the 2011 federal election:
• What are the issues it raises?
o Human traffickers and bogus claimants
o Temporarily detaining illegal migrants
o Weak border security
o Soft on crime
o Targets aspects of how Canadians believe
How Canada is accepting to immigrants but when asked personally we are
• How dose it attempt to shape Canadian beliefs?
o Opens with Canadian beliefs
o Stephan Harper plans to crack down on human smugglers and bogus claimants
o Liberals try to kill tory human smuggling bill
o Tougher sentences for human smugglers
Why Study Canada’s Role in Global Issues?
• On the environment: idea that Canada doesn’t care
Kirton Readings: Reflect Upon:
• How thinking about foreign policy helps us understand Canada (1112)
• Different theoretical perspectives for explaining Canadian policy (1214)
• Other factors on how we see Canada in the world as a global actor (1517)