Canadian Studies
Course
CDNS 2400
Professor
Stuart Lazear
Semester
Winter

Description
Lecture 3 – Heritage Legislation, and  Re­use Jan 23  2013 Lecturer – Marc Denhez Heritage – often considered osmber subject Environment • Often a synonym for nature, but they’re different • Means ‘where you are’, not ‘where you aren’t’ • Envionrment for humans – buildings Three points covered tonight – Legislaton and Judicial Review: • Legislation is the tool for government policy – Heritage Policy • Governments promoting heritage development • Tools Heritage – not always pretty • i.e. medieval Europe where people all slept in one room crammed near the heat to stay alive Myths • Canada has no architectural history • Canada’s name means ‘the place of buildings’ • Canada’s first zoning 1721 • First building code, from the French in 1727 20 000 years of Canadian Heritage • Canada started by developers  • Early architecture – by First Nations – i.e. innuit’s igloos • Monster House – built by the Haida Insualtion problems in timber – so early developpers started horizontally laying it out Log Cabins also evolved  Various styles came into fashion – i.e. India’s influence through the Bungalow, Gothic Revival through  John Ruskin,  Madate: Interpret Policy, give effect to policy – “A policy­led planning system” of Ontario Municipal  Board Provincial Policy Statement – PPS – all policies consisten with this Municipal Official Plans • Regional • Local Myth #2 Decision making, about planning and real estate are discretionary What do the planning documents say? (OMP?) Why is so much of our building ending in landfill? Myth 3: The development process is the nemesis of heritage Modernists: Le Corbusier, van der Rohe, Gropius – hated previous architecture • Archi
More Less

Related notes for CDNS 2400

OR

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit