Canadian Studies
Course
CDNS 2400
Professor
Stuart Lazear
Semester
Winter

Description
Nation, Migration, Transnationalism, and Work March 8 2013 Today • Consider a series of representation that illuminate different dimensions of national and transnational migration and work o Also understand some of the stereotypes of migration • Map out dominant discourses and consider counter-discourses • Interrogate arguments, evidence, and claims Representation – Image of Inuit • This image contributes to representation – representations are always from a certain perspective and she’s framing what she sees to tell her story (i.e. she doesn’t capture the snowmobiles) • They convey some things – she was selecting what she was including; this selection is shaped by histories of representations • These representations enter broader political, social contexts • Representations aren’t reflections of reality but they create reality • The way that they represent things create a certain sense of reality of that phenomenon Write down… 1. Stereotype about migration 2. A dimension of migration that is often overlooked, dismissed or unknown Migration, Immigration, Mobility • Types of migration o Economic migration – moving to find work or follow a particular career path  Different connotations – i.e. someone from New York moving to Chicago vs. Filipino worker moving to America for work o Social migration – moving somewhere for a better quality fo life or to be closer to family or friends o Political migration – moving to escape political persecution or war o Environmental moving in response to natural disasters or environmental degradation • Streams of immigration to Canada o Skilled workers – evaluated based on points (i.e. education, knowledge of official languages) o Family – you can bring your family over o Refugee – have also tightened over years  The federal level tightens borders selectively based on their objectives at the time • Not all migration is immigration o Temporary migration – for work perhaps o Internal migration – within national borders not affecting citizenship o Illegal migration o Lack of mobility The Economist – ‘Migration’ • Short clip • What does this representation attempt to convey about migration, transnationalism, and work? • Started with the statement of the fear of immigration going from African and Asia • Focused on the idea that people migrated based mainly on economic reasons for work • Emphasizes that most people want to go to North America and Europe • Doesn’t tell us why the movement occurs – i.e. an implication of the movement from Southern Europe to Northern Europe • Doesn’t take into account all regions within the world (i.e. circulation within Australia) What we learn from the Economic videographic • Some sense of volume, direction, and motivation for internal and transnational migation’ • Challenges some assumptions i.e.: directions of flow, volume, origin and destination fo migrantion, importance of international migration, and reasons for migration • Migration and national economies o Done through GDP, quantity of migrants, maps Jason Kenney Announcement and Commentary, CBC, December 10 2012 th • On a new skilled trades stream targeting 3 000 foreign workers in 2013 • Specific program to let certain skilled workers into the country • They need to have a job ready in Canada • Federal government will come up with a list of trades that is needed • There’s story not being otld in Canada about the number of young people in the workforce • Takes for granted that the only way to fill the shortage in labour is through immigration Other clip • She’s pointing to a larger social context – saying that immigrants aren’t just there for economic reasons, but also for social/cultural ones What we learn from CBC clips • Primary value of immigrant is as worker o Can be an issue because they may not become a citizen if the language barrier is still there • Border opens and closes preferentially based on current federal policy and priorities • ‘pathways to citizenship’ also open and close preferentially o i.e. admitted with lower language requirements to meet labour shortage, but this later becomes barrier to full citizenship • shift of thinking of immigration as a whole person and their family trying to find a new life but now it’s more focused on individual workers to benefit the economy Pratt, 1998 ‘Inscribing Domestic Work on Filipina Bodies • qualitative study of experiences of live-in-caregiver program participants in Vancouver o immigration program through which mostly Filipina women migrate to Canada to work as nannies • Analysis of immigration policy, political – economic contet, as well as personal expereicnes of live-in caregivers • A source of cheap labour f
More Less

Related notes for CDNS 2400

OR

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit