CDNS 2000 Lecture Notes - Lecture 1: Canada Day, Canadian Identity, Good Governance

35 views3 pages

Document Summary

Identity: from the latin idem meaning same": yet common conceptualizations claim that identity is linked to distinctiveness, uniqueness (ex. I"m a woman, canadian, i"m a student, i"m a catholic ) Identity is a relational process; to indicate sameness or distinctiveness taking the. Other" as a reference point: identity always depends on context; it is not static/fixed but is evolving. Group/collective identities: national, gender, ethnic, religious, class etc, we highlight our identities related toward those groups depending on the context. What does it mean to be canadian: canadian identity markers? (nimijean"s article) Peacekeepers, nice, hockey: expressions of pride (canada day, in contrast to americans, national anthem) Helps people situate themselves in the world: part of the nation(-state) Imagined by a sense of commonness through values, symbols, discourses (ex. The flag is a piece of cloth but is assigned meaning and value, and through repetition, the symbol is legitimized)

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers