CLCV 2103 Lecture Notes - Lecture 3: Peak Sanctuaries, Minoan Religion, Rhyton

39 views2 pages

Document Summary

Newcomers to the cycladic islands and crete. Beginnings of crop fertilization, metalworking: had impact on economy, sparked creation of large cities. Chronology largely established form the pottery of knossos. Dates corroborated with the egyptian king lists. Archaeologists could then divide up the ba on crete into three different periods. Similar systems adopted for the cyclades and mainland greece. Smooth transition to the em i period from the neolithic. Greatest period of activity and distinction occurring in the em ii phase (c. 2500-2200) Has its foundation in rituals associated with funerary rites (similar to neolithic period) Em i period (3000-2500) > shift in burial customs: cist graves, chamber tombs, and tholoi. Em ii period (2500-2200) > appearance of rectangular house tombs. Rituals at the grave concerned both with the dead, but also separate concerns. Concerned with fertility and seasonal cycle: female figurines/rhyta. Important that site that served was visible from the sanctuary. Generally do not appear until em iii/mm i period.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers