What is Mind?
What is the brain?
- centre of the nervous system
- frontal lobe: in charge of our executive processes, largest structure so have been associated with many
- parietal lobes: visuospatial processing, sense of touch and the sensations we get from touch, spatial
attention and mapping, number representation
-damage to this lobe causes loss on sensation/touch, sensory neglect (can only understand
things from one side), slurred speech, reading/writing problems, loss of ability to count,
- occipital lobe: responsible for vision; identifies where and what objects are
-damage causes loss or limited vision
-temporal lobe: recognition, perception (hearing, vision, smell), language, learning, memory
- damage could result in lack of understanding of language
-cerebellum: motor learning, balance coordination, reflex, timing, sequence learning
- we do this things without having to think about it
- damage causes lack of balance and coordination, tremors
-brain stem: maintaining homeostasis (bodily functions such as blood pressure, breathing, ect), sleep,
alertness, balance, startle response
What is the mind?
-consciousness (being aware of sensations, feelings, thoughts), intentionality (propositional attitudes
include desire, belief, intention; have a reason for being that way; aboutness/ our thoughts are always
about something), self (id