Communications October 29 2012
- The fact of negotiated readings makes us active audiences
Three Key Themes
1) What is journalism? What is news?
- Some say it’s a subjective piece of writing
- Broad about all stories that are of public interest
- Work for the media
- We should focus on the function that journalism plays in people’s lives
What is the function?
- Imagine a world without news
No ways to connect with one another
No sense of community
Lack of trust
- News isn’t just conveying information, its about telling stories
Holds us together
- The term myth is representing the stories
What Is news?
- Celebrity posts?
- Facebook posts?
- Hockey updates
- *it is to provide citizens with information that need to be free and self governing*
2) Journalism’s democratic function: the ideal vs. everyday life
- List of ideals/news values
Usually supported by the state
It can be private owned OR government owned but its focus is on the PUBLC
We trust that the information is accurate
Don’t question things
Establishment of a metaphorical gate that filters the news