When is an ethnography appropriate?
• Research question dictates the type of method
• If the RQ requires an in-depth understanding of the social context ethnography is an
• Allows an understanding of social reality from a participants perspective
o How are we constructing our social reality?
o Finalist and interprets approach
Trying to understand the world not through trying to apply the methodology, but
we are trying to understand how individuals try to interpret the world or try to be
o The group we are studying does not have to be elaborate
o Ethnographies are studied in very normal settings
• Have to defend this as a socially defended method
Why do we care?
• How does age affect us?
Becoming an ethnographer
• Research question as a general guide
• Access to the setting - open/closed
o Gatekeepers - key informants and sponsors mal
o Complete observer
o Observer as participant
o Participant as observer
o Complete participant
• Crucial to identify and establish the type of setting we have
o Describe the role we chose and why we thought it was appropriate
Incorporation into a setting: Relationships and roles
• Mascots, apprentices and dancing daughters