History and memory – Jan.9th
- Communication is a way of making sense of a range of different kinds of phenomenon
- It is important to connect things we already know to look at them in a different way
- History, politics and material – dominant themes of this term (what everything will be
- Historical: an awareness of things that happen in the past, in ways that are particularly novel.
From fashion and culture, to the movement in digital technology in how it connects to how
people express themselves from their feelings to what they and their friends are doing. Memory
is communicated through the eyes, body, and your feet. Materials communicate – touch triggers
a sense of memory. An example of music and pop culture, shows that pop culture has an
addiction to the past – music, clothes, trends from the past are constantly relived (ex. Remixed
- Political: communication is a lens through which we can understand struggle over power and
access to things such as struggle over resources.
- Material: speaking in terms of the actual material objects and the material conditions in which
we actually live such as the socio-economic standing in our society. Material is the means by
which the objects in the world that come to be considered as things. It is the process