Criminology and Criminal Justice
Course
CRCJ 3002
Professor
Suzanne Cooper
Semester
Fall

Description
Reliability, validity and generalizability of qualitative data The quality of qualitative research - Within qualitative research: • Credibility (vs. internal validity)  The extent to which we are able to measure what we are trying to measure • Dependability (vs. reliability) • Confirmability (vs. objectivity)  Referred to as objectivity in quantitative research • Transferability (vs. external validity)  Generalizability (what extent can you generalize your findings to the general population) • Authenticity Discourse analysis - Warrantability • Illustrating that analysis is sound and based on supportive, convincing evidence • Criteria for warranting are the criteria of:  Trustworthiness (i.e., dependability)  Soundness (i.e., credibility) Research quality Credibility (vs. internal validity) - Believability of the findings - Evidence research findings provide an accurate account • How do you assess credibility? There is evidence that you used semi-structured interviews. Interviews are long enough to give you good data (show how long the interviews lasted for). If you don’t see a range in times of interviews, it doesn’t look very credible. - Enhanced by: a. Use of semi-structured, in-depth interviews • Say “in this study, we used a semi-structured interview format” b. Consideration of social contexts • How does poverty play a role? 9/11 is a social context c. Iterative sampling and systematic analysis • Get participants to participate in study based on emerging findings. If the author said: based on some of our interviews, we have found it to be important to go out and interview ____ • Outline your coding and analysis stages (i.e.: Braun and Clark article for thematic analysis) d. Considering negative cases • Could be a person, could be a quote, etc... • Ex: one person did not fear a terrorist attack. Why is this person saying it when no one else did? • When you are doing your critique, make sure that you mention something even if the article hasn’t mentioned something (i.e.: if they don’t talk about negative cases, say something like: it was hard to assess _____ because there were no negative cases) e. Triangulation  Data triangulation  Getting data from different sources  Won’t have this in our studies!!  Investigator triangulation  When you have more than 1 person doing the research (i.e.: interviews and analysis). We already have this because we have 4-5 interviewers. In our critique, we will have to assess this. Do they talk about the research team?  Theory triangulation  Might talk about social-learning theory, criminogenic needs, what theories are you using to talk about your research?  Triangulation of method  We have used both qualitative and quantitative Critique of triangulation - For discourse analysts, there is considerable variation in accounts à discursive data from a number of sources may actually compound variability - Use of triangulation is inconsistent with theoretical foundation of qualitative research Credibility (continued) f. Member validation checks  Weak  Medium present 1 or 2 themes to participants and ask them if it accurately reflects what they are trying to say  Strong actually re-interviewing people about whether they think that your themes are ok Critique of member checks - Number of elements that researchers should take note of: • Ambiguity of Pps’responses to the research findings • Relationship b/w researcher & Pp • Framing questions • DiscourseAnalysis:
More Less

Related notes for CRCJ 3002

OR

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit