Earth Sciences
Course
ERTH 2401
Professor
Claudia Schroder- Adams
Semester
Fall

Description
Lecture 17 Eruptive Styles and Landforms I How do volcanoes eruptInternal heat Volcanoes are a mechanism by whichEarth expels internal heat quickly Internal heat increases with depthGeothermal gradient Anomalously hot zones Hot spotsSpreading centersFrom rock to magma What causes solid rock to melt Decrease Pmost important mechanism Decompression melting Increase T Increase water contentPhase change from solid to liquidaccompanied by volume expansion Fractures developing in overlyingrocksVolcanic eruption Sudden occurrence of a violentdischarge of volcanic materialsVolcanic eruptionStep by step1 Hot solid rock from asthenosphererises closer to the surface Pressure decrease causes rocks to melt partiallyDecompression melting2 Volume increase induces fractures More hot material rises More rocks liquefy3 Volatiles gradually come out of the melt Gas bubbles push magma upward4 Magma fragments When bubbles75 volume Powerful gas jet expels magma in the atmosphereEruptive style
More Less

Related notes for ERTH 2401

OR

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit