English (293)
ENGL 1000 (28)
all (8)

Note 5 Jan 24th.docx

3 Pages
Unlock Document

Carleton University
ENGL 1000

01/24/13 Note 5 ENG 1000 3 Types of Voice - Active: one in which the subject of the sentence is either doing an action, has done an action or is going to do an action. - Passive: something the action is being done to (“Mistakes were made.”) - Subjunctive: wish/desire (“I wish I were there.”) Ireland in Middle Ages & Shaw - Originally all of Ireland are catholic, some Irish some English - More and more English live in Ireland, and become known as the “middle nation” because Ireland is their home land, but they are English - Potato Famine - When Becket is writing it takes place during the “troubles” of Ireland - Lots of social protest in Shaw’s writing - 1922, Spring Uprising, the beginning of the Irish war of independence Sam Becket - Problems with his mother which cause him to have psychological issues - His works all show psychological problems - Existentialism: what it means to exist and how we can find meaning in life simply from existence. - Concentrates on things human beings can’t know (the reason for loss or indirection) - Published first in 1952 - Oct 1969, won Nobel prize for literature Wait
More Less

Related notes for ENGL 1000

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.