English (293)
ENGL 2105 (11)

Hist of Eng Feb 7.docx

3 Pages
Unlock Document

Carleton University
ENGL 2105
Robin Norris

Chapter 16 on Sentence Structure/Chapter 15 on Syntax Related and work together Originally supposed to be 8 parts of speech Word classes classify lexicon Comprised of category of words. All have similar syntax/morphological uses Subject, verb, adj? Nouns: -Morphology -Derivational morphology -Suffix like on pg 208 blue box -Take these, but not other derivational suffixes -Nouns can be plural or genitive -Verb cannot be inflected (not true of oldE) -Nouns tend to be subjects of clauses, similar syntactic function, can be objects of prepositions -I am a professor. =A compliment. Not the subject, restate it -Noun phrase needs to have a noun. Can be preceded by a determiner -In classes, can take a determiner -Nouns can be proper or common -Count/non-count nouns (undifferentiated mass, like: butter, music, advice) -Abstract/concrete -Observable/measurable vs unobservable -Bottom pg 208=proper nouns -don’t usually allow plural whereas common nouns usually do -can create kinds of phrases that work in certain context -209 count/non count nouns Pronouns -can stand in for a noun or whole noun phrase -fred->he/him -my favourite uncle form Toronto->he/him -can fulfil similar positions as nouns -as a compliment=that’s me/it is I -can’t be modified -have different subject/object forms -gender, object, person -210=types of pronouns -often end in self Adj -before noun it modifies -if occurs before noun, considered attributive -=attribute of noun -can occur after verb to be in its predicative function -preceded by intensifiers (like very. That dog is very big) -can add -er to adj -if add ly to many adj, can become adv -needs to have attributive/predicated functions or else called peripheral -211-> utter/loath peripheral -off to the side of the word class. Not typical -if ends in ly, ing, or ed, likely adj -ied –ing could be adj or verb -why participle has fallen out with linguists -nouns sometimes used like adj (garde
More Less

Related notes for ENGL 2105

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.