English (293)
ENGL 3007 (7)

Reading Poetry, January22.doc

2 Pages
Unlock Document

Carleton University
ENGL 3007
Andrew Wallace

Wallace Stevens Sunday Morning: Awoman who is not at work. Her mind is wandering in and out of religious topics. Trying to imagine a life untouched by an organized sunday morning, specifically around religion. Captures a lot of problems that are alive in the shorter poems in Harmonium and his dominant themes: his interest in the search for "supreme fiction". Imagining the creation of a myth that could hold the mind, and fascinate.Activate passions without demanding that we lie to ourselves as to its status as anything more than fiction. I: Dreaming about something: a fiction, yet it is related to reality "the day is like wide water". Both a dream and a fact. Oranges: they are a real and tangible object, yet she is falling into a dream which has pungent oranges: Oranges: they are a real and tangible object, yet she is falling into a dream which has pungent oranges: more vivid than the reality. Immediate, sensual things, contrasted with distant, imagined things: i.e. Palestine. The passing of the influence of religion. Image of the sun: typically associated with God: time has worn away at the old mythology. Colourful fruits and exotic birds: an export from the East (like the export of religious mythology) to the West. The importance of Florida to Stevens: to him a faraway, exotic place, that is still close enough to be accessible. She wants to feel what is real: not the mysticism of religion. People on the streets are on their way to Church: she has absented herself from the order of an ordinary Sunday morning. She has
More Less

Related notes for ENGL 3007

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.