ECOR1101 - Lecture 1.pdf

24 Pages
Unlock Document

Carleton University
Engineering Common Core Courses
ECOR 1101
Jack Vandenberg

Lecture 1 ECOR1101 Mechanics I ECOR1101 –Mechanics I 1 What is Mechanics? • Study of the state of rest or motion of bodies when acted upon by forces • Either the bodies or the forces can be large ECOR1101 –Mechanics I 2 Branches of Mechanics Mechanics Deformable Rigid Body Body Fluid Statics Dynamics Compressible Incompressible At rest or with constant V Variable V (a) ECOR1101 –Mechanics I 3 Fundamental Units (Dimensions) • Four fundamental physical quantities (dimensions) –Length: to locate a body in space and measure dimension of bodies (m, inch) –Mass: measure of a quantity of matter in a body (kg, lb) –Time: measure of succession of events (s) –Force: a “push” or “pull” exerted by one body on another (N, lbf) ECOR1101 –Mechanics I 4 Systems of Units • We will work with two (2) systems of units in mechanics (statics and dynamics) –International System (SI – Système International d’Unités) –US Customary (imperial units) • Both systems have 3 base units and 1 derived ECOR1101 –Mechanics I 5 Base and Derives Units =m·g =F/g ECOR1101 –Mechanics I 6 Conversion of Units ECOR1101 –Mechanics I 7 Dimensional Analysis • Unit conversions are easily solved through the process of dimensional analysis • Facts of dimensional analysis –Conversion factor is a statement of equal relations –Conversion factor in ratio form = 1 –Units cancel out like variables ECOR1101 –Mechanics I 8 Dimensional Homogeneity • The terms of all equations must be dimensionally homogeneous. –Dimension of LHS = Dimension of RHS • Consider the kinematic equation: v  v  at f i m m m   2 s s s s ECOR1101 –Mechanics I 9 Models and Idealizations • Models and idealizations are often used in mechanics to simplify problems • Particle: has mass but negligible size. For example, the earth can be considered a particle with negligible size when viewed with respect to its orbit or other celestial bodies • Rigid body: A rigid body can be considered as a collection of particles but all particles remain fixed with respect to one another under load • Concentrated force: when the area of load application is small with respect to the size of the body ECOR1101 –Mechanics I 10 Newton’s Laws of Motion • Engineering mechanics is formulated on Newton’s Laws of Motion –The laws were postulated based on experimental observation –The laws apply to the motion of a particle with reference to a non-accelerating reference frame ECOR1101 –Mechanics I 11 Newton’s Laws of Motion st • 1 Law: A particle at rest or in motion will continue in its state of rest or motion unless acted upon by an unbalanced system of forces ECOR1101 –Mechanics I 12 Newton’s Laws of Motion • 2ndLaw: A particle of mass (m) acted upon by an unbalanced system of forces (F) experiences an acceleration (a) in the same direction as the force and with a magnitude proportional to the force. F =m ·a ECOR1101 –Mechanics I 13 Newton’s Laws of Motion rd • 3 Law: For every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction. ECOR1101 –Mechanics I 14 Newton’s Law of Gravitational Attraction • States that two bodies ar
More Less

Related notes for ECOR 1101

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.