Fall 2016

Department
Environmental Science
Course Code
ENSC 2001
Professor
Quentin Gall
Lecture

This preview shows page 1. Sign up to view the full 3 pages of the document.
ENSC 2001 A
Lecture 10
December 7th, 2015
Surface Water Pollution
1. Point sources of pollution
1. Point sources are discrete, confined and more readily identifiable
2. Common sources: Landfills, discharge from wastewater treatment, discharge from industries,
power plants, storm water runoff etc.
1. Non point sources pollution
1. Nonpoint sources are difficult intermittent and hard to specifically identify
2. Causes of nonpoint pollution often regional cumulative and compound
3. Builds up over time so its cumulative
4. Pollutants can be from various
5. Common sources: urban runoff (industrial runoff but can also be in rural areas),
6. Agriculture (volumetrically largest sources)
7. Mining (acid rain and acid damage)
Surface Water treatment
8. Build: containment ditches, settling ponds, natural filtration systems (move that water through
and filter it)
9. Ground water pollution is a big concern
10. Water purification plants
Groundwater Pollution and Treatment
1. GW pollution vs. surface water pollution
1. Residence time difference
2. Environmental conditions: flow rate, dissolved oxygen, sunlight
3. Harder to track: pollution sources
4. More difficult and expensive to clean up
5. May pose lung-term risks
Groundwater Pollution
6. Via
1. Plumes of pollution: from surface water sources
2. Subsurface: human activity for example, under ground mining that chemicals can get in the
groundwater, or underground storage tanks of rupture and leaked material, water can also be
polluted from waster disposals
3. Lateral saltwater intrusion result from over-pumping of ground water near coastal areas and
lets saltwater migrates and intrudes through the well if you have over-pumping. Salt water
contamination of ground water can also result from marine flooding of the coastal surfaces
GW Treatment
find more resources at oneclass.com
find more resources at oneclass.com

Loved by over 2.2 million students

Over 90% improved by at least one letter grade.

Leah — University of Toronto

OneClass has been such a huge help in my studies at UofT especially since I am a transfer student. OneClass is the study buddy I never had before and definitely gives me the extra push to get from a B to an A!

Leah — University of Toronto
Saarim — University of Michigan

Balancing social life With academics can be difficult, that is why I'm so glad that OneClass is out there where I can find the top notes for all of my classes. Now I can be the all-star student I want to be.

Saarim — University of Michigan
Jenna — University of Wisconsin

As a college student living on a college budget, I love how easy it is to earn gift cards just by submitting my notes.

Jenna — University of Wisconsin
Anne — University of California

OneClass has allowed me to catch up with my most difficult course! #lifesaver

Anne — University of California
Description
ENSC 2001 A Lecture 10 December 7 , 2015 Surface Water Pollution 1. Point sources of pollution 1. Point sources are discrete, confined and more readily identifiable 2. Common sources: Landfills, discharge from wastewater treatment, discharge from industries, power plants, storm water runoff etc. 1. Non point sources pollution 1. Nonpoint sources are difficult intermittent and hard to specifically identify 2. Causes of nonpoint pollution often regional cumulative and compound 3. Builds up over time so its cumulative 4. Pollutants can be from various 5. Common sources: urban runoff (industrial runoff but can also be in rural areas), 6. Agriculture (volumetrically largest sources) 7. Mining (acid rain and acid damage) Surface Water treatment 8. Build: containment ditches, settling ponds, natural filtration systems (move that water through and filter it) 9. Ground water pollution is a big concern 10. Water purification plants Groundwater Pollution and Treatment 1. GW pollution vs. surface water pollution 1. Residence time difference 2. Environmental conditions: flow rate, dissolved oxygen, sunlight 3. Harder to track: pollution sources 4. More difficult and expensive to clean up 5. May pose lungterm risks Groundwater Pollution 6. Via 1. Plumes of pollution: from surface water sources 2. Subsurface: human activity for example, under ground mining that chemicals can get in the groundwater, or underground storage tanks of rupture and leaked material, water can also be polluted from waster disposals 3. Lateral saltwater intrusion result from overpumping of ground water near coastal areas and lets saltwater migrates and intrudes through the well if you have overpumping. Salt water contamination of ground water can also result from marine flooding of the coastal surfaces GW Treatment
More Less
Unlock Document

Only page 1 are available for preview. Some parts have been intentionally blurred.

Unlock Document
You're Reading a Preview

Unlock to view full version

Unlock Document

You've reached the limit of 4 previews this month

Create an account for unlimited previews.

Already have an account?

OR

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit