ERTH2415 - Chapter 13, 14, 15.docx

7 Pages

Department
Earth Sciences
Course Code
ERTH 2415
Professor
Claire Samson

This preview shows pages 1 and half of page 2. Sign up to view the full 7 pages of the document.

Loved by over 2.2 million students

Over 90% improved by at least one letter grade.

Leah — University of Toronto

OneClass has been such a huge help in my studies at UofT especially since I am a transfer student. OneClass is the study buddy I never had before and definitely gives me the extra push to get from a B to an A!

Leah — University of Toronto
Saarim — University of Michigan

Balancing social life With academics can be difficult, that is why I'm so glad that OneClass is out there where I can find the top notes for all of my classes. Now I can be the all-star student I want to be.

Saarim — University of Michigan
Jenna — University of Wisconsin

As a college student living on a college budget, I love how easy it is to earn gift cards just by submitting my notes.

Jenna — University of Wisconsin
Anne — University of California

OneClass has allowed me to catch up with my most difficult course! #lifesaver

Anne — University of California
Description
Lecture 13 • Telluric: Electric current induced due to variation in Earth’s magnetic field. • Magnetotelluric sounding measures earth’s magnetic field and curents. • Extreme Variations of the Earth’s magnetic field can have a significant effect on technological systems • What does a magnetometer record? -> Superposition of Internal geomagnetic field and External geomagnetic field. • Differentiation: Denser material gradually migrating to the center of the Earth. • Magnetic poles do not coincide exactly with geographic poles. • Every few years, magnetic poles wander around the geographic poles. • Disturbances affecting technological systems are caused by variations in the external geomagnetic field. • Solar wind: Stream of charged particles flowing away from the Sun’s corono in all directions. • Strong gusts of solar wind are caused by Coronal holes, they occur on small localized areas of the sun’s surface. • They are also caused by Coronal mass ejections. These are Star-scale events, charged particles and radiations released from the sun’s corona. • Magnetic Storm: Temporary large-scale perturbation of the external geomagnetic field due to high solar activity. • They occur at the peak of a solar cycle. • Magnetosphere: Region around the Earth shielded from the solar wind. • Emission of light due to solar winds is Aurora Borealis. • Space weather – is the changing environmental conditions in space. This can be easily be predicted. • Ottawa has an International Space Environment Service. • There are three zones: o Polar Cap o Auroral Zone o Sub-Auroral Zone • Telluric currents affected the blackout in Quebec in 1989 • Lecture 14 • • Silicon and oxygen make up of 75% of the crust. Oxygen being more abundant. • Minerals make up rock. • Mineral: naturally occurring inorganic solid with: o Orderly internal structure o Individual characteristics • Rock: Solid aggregate of one or more minerals. • • Rock Cycle: Process by which older rocks are made into new rocks. • • Igneous rocks: Formed by cooling and solidification from a molten liquid called magma. • Crystallization: Process of mineral formation in a cooling magma. • Cooling at depth: intrusive igneous rocks • Cooling at the surface: extrusive igneous rocks • Magma : partially molten rock below the Earth’s surface. • Lava: Magma that reaches the surface. • Volatiles: gases dissolved in the melt. • Viscosity: Internal resistance of a liquid to flow. High viscosity is higher density. • Higher magma viscosity the more explosive the eruption. • Magma viscosity increases with the percentage of SiO , 2ecreases with temperature, and increases with the amount of solid in the melt. • Volcanism: Process by which magma rise into the crust an
More Less
Unlock Document
Subscribers Only

Only pages 1 and half of page 2 are available for preview. Some parts have been intentionally blurred.

Unlock Document
Subscribers Only
You're Reading a Preview

Unlock to view full version

Unlock Document
Subscribers Only

OR

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit