GEOG 1020 Lecture 5: Globalization

10 Pages

Department
Geography
Course Code
GEOG 1020
Professor
Paul Williams

This preview shows pages 1-3. Sign up to view the full 10 pages of the document.
GEOG 1020 – October 16th, 2017
Globalization – Cont’d.
Core-Periphery
Clear winners and losers in the global economy
oSome thrived while others stagnated or even stalled in their development
Meir and Baldwin first attempted to describe the world in the framework of the core-
periphery in 1957:
oCore Country = if played a dominant and active role in world trade, with a market
economy and an outward movement of financial capital from it to other countries
oPeripheral Country = if played a secondary or passive role in world trade, with
either a market-type economy or subsistence-type economy; externally dependent
on the centre as the source of large proportion of imports, as destination of large
proportion of its exports, and as a lender of capital
Disparities/inequalities that created this world became focus of much research in the 60s
oLess developed countries could not even advance because their under
development was a structural requirement for the continued development and
prosperity of the Core countries
oUn equal trade, exploitation of labour and profit extraction
Cuba & N. Korea only two seen as excluded from this world system!
World System Theory – Immanuel Wallerstein (1984)
a. Core
b. Periphery
c. Semi-periphery
He saw a world organized into three categories – the core, the periphery and a third
category, the semi-periphery. This created a hierarchy of states.
He argued that the entire world economy was to be seen as an evolving market system in
which this hierarchy of states was the product of long-wave economic rhythms. In theory,
a country could move from one category to another over time.
The model further attempts to explain the international stratification among
regions/countries – a model that focuses not just on one country or one time period, but
find more resources at oneclass.com
as an interedependent system that has been structured by social, economic and political
factors over time (since European colonialism).
Since the 17th c., this world-system has become more extensive and more consolidated
through globalization
a. General framework
b. Interdependence of regions and places
c. Dynamic and uneven
Core Regions
Dominate trade, control most advanced technologies, have high levels of productivity
within diversified economies
High per capita incomes
Many are former colonial powers e.g. Dutch, UK
Semi-Peripheral
Able to exploit peripheral regions, but are exploited/dominated by core regions
Mostly countries that were once peripheral e.g. Brazil, India, Mexico
Including newly industrializing countries, “emerging markets”, BRICS
With the relocation of manufacturing activities, semi-peripheral regions of world
changing quickly
FINISH AFTER
POPULATION
Population milestones:
11 July 1987 – 5 billion
12 October 1999 – 6 billion
31 October 2011 – 7 billion
Canada’s population:
Currently 36,719,482 (oct 15th) – 45 million by 2050
Current overall annual growth rate of 1.1%
About two thirds of increase attributable to immigration
About one third natural increase
Population growth problems:
Overuse, exploitation, exhaustion of resources
Environment – garbage, fossil fuels, carbon footprint
Urban overcrowding
Food security
Thomas Robert Malthus (1766-1834)
“Thomas Malthus argued that overpopulation directly
corresponds to human suffering due to the notion that
human population increases geometrically while food
production can only increase arithmetically. These
trends, he argued, would result in a point at which a
society experiences war, poverty, and famine as the need
for food surpasses its availability.”
The Population Bomb 1968
Paul Ehrlich said that in the 1970s hundreds of millions of people will starve to death
Demography
Key concerns:
oHow many people, where, why
oPopulation structure
oDifferences between regions
oConsequences of population patterns
oChange over time
Why are there more people in some areas than others?
What are the implications of these differences on the economy or on the environment?
How are these patterns changing over time?
As a species we are not spread evenly across the planet
Population = group of individuals of the same species who inhabit an area
Defined by five factors:
1. Birth rate
2. Death rate
3. Sex ration

Loved by over 2.2 million students

Over 90% improved by at least one letter grade.

Leah — University of Toronto

OneClass has been such a huge help in my studies at UofT especially since I am a transfer student. OneClass is the study buddy I never had before and definitely gives me the extra push to get from a B to an A!

Leah — University of Toronto
Saarim — University of Michigan

Balancing social life With academics can be difficult, that is why I'm so glad that OneClass is out there where I can find the top notes for all of my classes. Now I can be the all-star student I want to be.

Saarim — University of Michigan
Jenna — University of Wisconsin

As a college student living on a college budget, I love how easy it is to earn gift cards just by submitting my notes.

Jenna — University of Wisconsin
Anne — University of California

OneClass has allowed me to catch up with my most difficult course! #lifesaver

Anne — University of California
Description
GEOG 1020 October 16 , 2017 Globalization Contd. Core-Periphery Clear winners and losers in the global economy o Some thrived while others stagnated or even stalled in their development Meir and Baldwin first attempted to describe the world in the framework of the core- periphery in 1957: o Core Country = if played a dominant and active role in world trade, with a market economy and an outward movement of financial capital from it to other countries o Peripheral Country = if played a secondary or passive role in world trade, with either a market-type economy or subsistence-type economy; externally dependent on the centre as the source of large proportion of imports, as destination of large proportion of its exports, and as a lender of capital Disparities/inequalities that created this world became focus of much research in the 60s o Less developed countries could not even advance because their under development was a structural requirement for the continued development and prosperity of the Core countries o Un equal trade, exploitation of labour and profit extraction Cuba & N. Korea only two seen as excluded from this world system! World System Theory Immanuel Wallerstein (1984) a. Core b. Periphery c. Semi-periphery He saw a world organized into three categories the core, the periphery and a third category, the semi-periphery. This created a hierarchy of states. He argued that the entire world economy was to be seen as an evolving market system in which this hierarchy of states was the product of long-wave economic rhythms. In theory, a country could move from one category to another over time. The model further attempts to explain the international stratification among regions/countries a model that focuses not just on one country or one time period, but as an interedependent system that has been structured by social, economic and political factors over time (since European colonialism). th Since the 17 c., this world-system has become more extensive and more consolidated through globalization a. General framework b. Interdependence of regions and places c. Dynamic and uneven Core Regions Dominate trade, control most advanced technologies, have high levels of productivity within diversified economies High per capita incomes Many are former colonial powers e.g. Dutch, UK Semi-Peripheral Able to exploit peripheral regions, but are exploited/dominated by core regions Mostly countries that were once peripheral e.g. Brazil, India, Mexico Including newly industrializing countries, emerging markets, BRICS With the relocation of manufacturing activities, semi-peripheral regions of world changing quickly FINISH AFTER POPULATION Population milestones: 11 July 1987 5 billion 12 October 1999 6 billion 31 October 2011 7 billion Canadas population: Currently 36,719,482 (oct 15 ) 45 million by 2050 Current overall annual growth rate of 1.1% About two thirds of increase attributable to immigration About one third natural increase Population growth problems: Overuse, exploitation, exhaustion of resources Environment garbage, fossil fuels, carbon footprint Urban overcrowding Food security Thomas Robert Malthus (1766-1834) Thomas Malthus argued that overpopulation directly corresponds to human suffering due to the notion that human population increases geometrically while food production can only increase arithmetically. These trends, he argued, would result in a point at which a society experiences war, poverty, and famine as the need for food surpasses its availability. The Population Bomb 1968 Paul Ehrlich said that in the 1970s hundreds of millions of people will starve to dea
More Less
Unlock Document

Only pages 1-3 are available for preview. Some parts have been intentionally blurred.

Unlock Document
You're Reading a Preview

Unlock to view full version

Unlock Document

OR

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit