Geography
Course
GEOG 1020
Professor
Justin Stefanik
Semester
Winter

Description
GEOG 1020 Jan 29 2014 Nature ­Where does nature come from? ­Separation of nature and humans ­Greek Thought ­Word for “everything” ­Changes to everything but humans ­We begin to feel special in some way ­Judeo­Christian Religious Thought ­Man has a special relationship with God ­Man has been given the Earth to manage ­Man is separate from nature ­Enlightened Thought ­“I think, therefore I am” ­Our ability to reason separates us from other life ­Nature can be known and dominated through the sciences ­We really are special! ­Industrial Capitalist Thought ­Two ideas emerged in the 19  century ­Nature has value to be exploited ­Nature is pure while modernity is tainted ­Movement of upper classes to rural areas ­Search for the sublime ­Social Construction ­The way we look at the world is always filtered through meaning systems ­We shape the physical world through these ideas ­Discourse ­Organized and established sets of meanings that construct our worldview ­Thought becomes practice and gets materialized ­Wilderness ­19  century idea ­That which is pristine, untouched, and unchanged by humans ­Leads to the invention of the national park
More Less

Related notes for GEOG 1020

OR

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit