The Bronze Age in Mainland Greece
ca. 2900-1100 BC
Early, Middle and Late Helladic
∙ House of Tiles... 'corridor house' style ca 2600-2200
◦ seems to have been intentionally emptied before destroyed (by fire..intentional)
◦ public building in community
◦ some rooms are only accessible from outside, low benches along walls
◦ when house of tiles of destroyed, they do not build over top of it..build all
structures around house, and turn into a Memorial (cover with earth
mound)..not touched until Mycennean period more than 500 years later
Break in Culture ca 2200BC
∙ foreign influence coming in..NW Asia Minor..from Troy
∙ appears are though new population is coming in
∙ Indo-European arrival ca 2100BC thought by linguists to have arrived at this time,
however pretty difficult to prove as there are no examples of Greek writing until about
∙ Proto-Indo-European...thought to be originating language, known to area of Caucasus
(Caucasian) between Black and Caspian Seas..mass migration to cover all of Europe
∙ archaeologists think that it was much more gradual, first wave 2900BC or earlier by
land, and second comes around 2200 BC which could explain mass destruction in Greece
at this time
∙ 3 parts
◦ porch with 2 colomns supporting roof
◦ harth room
∙ dates 4500BC
∙ leads archeologists to become sceptical about when Greeks actually arrived..these
buildings are thought to be 'Greek' so..?
∙ problem is that Greeks are never a strong culture..
∙ Aprisdal Megara at Lerna is a different kind of Megaron..
generally nothing happens..
many megarons built but no signs of culture flourishing
Late(Mycenean Greek period)
∙ poor, self educated..became a very rich business trader ∙ always had an interest in ancient times..Homer's Illiad and was particularly interested in
∙ actually found the site of Troy which had never been known location before
∙ mound of Hissarlik..identified by Frank Calvert
∙ Frank Calvert
◦ talked to this archeologist...found mound essentially and bought some from
government but didn't have enough money to excavate..brough in Schliemann
as a financial backer
∙ Schliemann's Great trench
◦ basically dug a trench straight through mound of civilisation looking for riches
◦ complex...46 different habitations layers..at least 9 major city levels over 4200
◦ ruined..but found what he wanted to find..Gold..Homer tells that Troy was
◦ 'Hoard of Priam'
◦ hilltop strong hold, was never 'lost'
◦ thought to be a fusion society of Minoan and Cyclatic