HLTH 1001 Lecture Notes - Lecture 4: Epigenetics, Plant Breeding, Gregor Mendel

38 views6 pages

Document Summary

Cellular and molecular origins of health and disease. A(cid:271)(cid:374)or(cid:373)al fu(cid:374)(cid:272)tio(cid:374)i(cid:374)g of the (cid:272)ells i(cid:374) the (cid:271)od(cid:455) that affe(cid:272)ts the (cid:271)od(cid:455)"s fu(cid:374)(cid:272)tio(cid:374)i(cid:374)g. Proteins: structural function, transport, biological catalyst, maintaining contact, activity of cells, communication. Lipids: source of energy, form protective layers, activity of cells. Disease is associated with: genetic mutation , altered mrrna expression, altered protein production. Dna consisting of non-coding repetitive sequences: structure of dna is dynamic along its length, being capable of coiling into tight loops. Chromatin structure: human haploid genome is 3 billion pairs most ells are diploid, human genome has about 20m000 to 25,000 protein coding genes. Human has 23 chromosomes that localize to chromosome territories within the nucleus. Principles of inheritance first described by gregor mendel- experiments with plea plant breeding: dominant vs. recessive inheritance, homozygotes vs. heterozygotes, multiple forms of those genes, known as alleles, represent the different traits represent the different traits.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers