January 21, Linguistics.docx

10 Pages

Department
Linguistics
Course Code
LING 1001
Professor
Karin Nault

This preview shows pages 1,2 and half of page 3. Sign up to view the full 10 pages of the document.
Description
LING 1001  January 21, 2014 Midterm -limited short answer - Multiple choice/T&F - Associations (two columns one with terms and one with definitions) Changing the resonator for vowels  • Tongue height – High, mid, low – Up and down (HEEE HAWW) • Tongue advancement – Front, central, back • Lip rounding – (HEE WHOO) – Mid, high and back • Tenseness – Lax or tense – Blue box i ɛ [High] æ Seat [mid] (round) [low] ɪ u set sat ʊ [back] [front] ɑ ʌ ɔ [central] ə [lax] [tense] What vowel? Peat, eat, meet [pit] /pit/ (vowel is nucleus of syllable) ᶞ R O N C /p I t/ - Onsets and codas are not mandatory in the syllable buy nuclei are Leak vs lick - not as tense as leak - tense is in the blue box luke vs look - Both are back vowels - Luke is more tense Transcribe  Took – 3 sounds Stick- 4 sounds Trick- 3 sounds (IPA /c/ I different than /k/ but in pronunciation you only hear one sound) Dell, dull, doll (all mid) Above, atomic (has soft /a/= shwah) Diphthongs  =Complex sounds • Buy • bay • bow (down) • bow • Boy • Ow! • Oh! • Oy! • Sequence of two vowel sounds within the same syllable i [High] (round) ɛ æ [mid] [low] ɪ u ʊ [back] [front] ɑ ʌ ɔ [central] ə [lax] [tense] e o This diagram has all the diphthong positions • Buy The largest slope; from low back to high front • bay the smallest arrow; from front mid to front high • Boy is from the mid back to the front • Bow down arrow from low back to high back • Bow tie from mid back to high back Only found in i English ɛ The one to right is the one æ with the lip rounding [mid] [low] [high] Faux false ɪ u ʊ [back] [front] ɑ ʌ ɔ [central] ə [lax] [round] [tense] e o y Tu ‘you’ Feu ‘fire’ Ø • 2.4.4 other consonants, e.g. [pf] (affricate= composed of a stop then a fricative), [t ] • 2.4.5 e.g. [q] • 2.4.6. other manner of articulation not used in English – trill [r] (Spanish) – palatalized consonants [n] in Russian – glottalized consonants [p ] Three things used to descried consonants - voicing (voiced, voiceless) - place (pharynx, glottis, uvular, velar) - manner (stop, fricative, affricate) Section 2.4.6. Manners of articulation NOT used in English  - Russian has lots of palatalized consonants (uses letter subscript in []) - Glottalizated stops- you have your vocal tract ready for pronunciation for both consonants Characteristics of segments  • Consonants – Place of articulation – Manner of articulation – Voicing • Vowels – Tongue height – Tongue advancement – Lip rounding – Tenseness Suprasegmentals  • Length • Intonation • Tone • Stress Length  • Comparing the dur
More Less
Unlock Document

Only pages 1,2 and half of page 3 are available for preview. Some parts have been intentionally blurred.

Unlock Document
You're Reading a Preview

Unlock to view full version

Unlock Document

OR

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit