Who is Edgar Schmidt?
• Federal government lawyer who was a whistle blower
o He said that the government shouldn't pass a bill that only had 5%
Who is Carl Schmitt?
• “The sovereign is he who decides the exception”
• • Illuminates who is above the law when they make these decisions
• It’s not irregular, it’s part of sovereignty
• Liberal democrats who are obsessed with having order of law are
covering over the truth of sovereignty
• The truth is that sovereignty is in the POWER of the person making that
decision (derogate or erode those rights)
• Forces us to ask tough questions of liberal democracy
Who is Peter Russell?
• The is the author of the piece we rerad before the break about Democracy in Canada
o Talked about all the potential pitfalls of Canada
• In the 2009 piece, he talks about how his idea was wrong, the Charter
has actually been right and hasn't been wrong like we previously though
The PMO's office, centralization of power over the last 40 years, people focus on
the expansion of employees in the PM's office
o Dangerous because we live in a First past the post system
Who is Deepan Budlakoti?
• Someone who was not technically a Canadian or Indian citizen, he was a stateless
• Double punishment -> because both countries will not take him
o Compliments of criminal and immigration law
• Concept of Double punishment happens more frequently
Who is the Minister of Justice and the Attorney General?
• Peter Mackay
Sketch of Franz Kafka
• Middle-class, Jewish, born in Prague in 1883
• Trained as a lawyer, his father was a lawyer
• Met his companion and friend Max Brod
o Began writing in addition to his employment, he hated being a lawyer, had a bad
relationship with his father, went through his steps to be a lawyer
• Was very sick as a young man, developed tuberculosis in his early 30s
• Died near Vienna in 1924 at age of 40, it got so bad he could not swallow food anymore
so he could not eat
o Before he died, he asked his friend brod to destroy all of his manuscripts, in
keeping with his frail existence, he thought very lowly of himself.
• Brod actually defied his needs
o He said that if Franz Kafka wanted him to destroy all his work, he wouldn't have
asked Brod, because Kafka would never have asked that to him
o He must have actually wanted Brod to keep the work
Began writing it in 1914 but was unfinished at the time of his death
• Brod edited it and published it in German in 1925 (after Kafka's death) as "Der Process"
• Translated into English in 1935
• Dispute over the chapter arrangement o The manuscripts they did have, Brod passed it on