Lecture 4 even more stuff
- Head of the John Howard society comment on the Harper government’s corrections
• It was an ideological myth that prisoners’human rights are at odds with public safety.
It creates the notion that the decent treatment of prisoners is somehow putting the
public at risk, when in fact it is the complete opposite.
This is in fact what statistics show: recidivist rates go up. Repeat offenders
increase when they have no reason or hope when they come out, not to mention
simply having been institutionalised
- Our “Get Tough On Crime” policy is bad corrections, but good politics
- Awhile back in California (1976), they said that the purpose of imprisonment is
punishment (not rehabilitation)
- Crack causes crime. They are in such a state that they get whatever th