-Russell: letting go & letting goodness
1) the best possible life is one where you have the best possible things
2) the best things in life are those good things that cannot be taken
away from you against your will
-the absence of transcendent meaning
-the worship of goodness vs. the worship of power
stoic: external things; they are good; but taken away ; money loose
job, beauty- age
these good things are external to full control
the good things; can not be taken from you against your will.
your judgment; can not be taken away; we cahsn always maintain this.
having desire for good thigns; wealth; health. but with good
judgement, lize they can be taken away and still relize you have not
the best thing.
therefore according to the stotics its not the good things, its the right
kind of attitudes. Proper attitudes can not be taken away.
-resignation, freedom, and indignation.
3) the best things in life are our proper attitudes to external
4) therefore, the best possible life is one in which you have proper
attitudes towards externals
if we hold onto our stotic view; we will always have good
if we want to be immune to hardships; nothing will touch urs!
evreything will go will; we control our judgement
5) such a life will be characterized by abesnce of destructive emotions
and presence of positive
- destructive emotions; anxiety; greif
stoic idea; if you live this life; when negative emotions diminish,
anger; according to stoics; refusal to accept; dont have control
- this bad emotions are improper attitudes.
if you live a life; then according to stoics; that anxiety replaced with
calmness, anger with acceptance
greif replaced with joy November 12 2012h
Ruseel: letting go and goodness
Russell; meaning life is worship to goodness
Worship -> regarding something as the most important
What is Russels goodness?
- not a transcendant thing
- Russel -> ideals -> goodness -> proper judgement to know what
- Having certain principles
Goodness: the right attitude to what is valuable
Russell: to live meaningful life -> right sorts of attitudes
Meaningful life -> worship (hold something in high regard) - >
goodness -> one’s proper attitudes to what is valuable
life devoted to worship goodness; makes us the most free
ideals; our attitudes; one thing that can not be taken away
- if you don’t worship goodness; worship power (external)
November 15 2012
- General topics your thesis can be about; Feinberg’s Self-
fulfillment account, or wolf’s fitting fulfillment account:
- Evaluation: clarity; plausibility, originality
- Thesis: meaningfulness and morality come apart
Supporting premise 1) If there are wicked people whose lives are nonetheless
meaningful, then meaningfulness and morality come apart
2) Roman emperor Nero was a wicked perso