PHIL 1200 Lecture Notes - Moritz Schlick, Urs, Externals
21 views4 pages
For unlimited access to Class Notes, a Class+ subscription is required.
-Russell: letting go & letting goodness
1) the best possible life is one where you have the best possible things
2) the best things in life are those good things that cannot be taken
away from you against your will
-the absence of transcendent meaning
-the worship of goodness vs. the worship of power
stoic: external things; they are good; but taken away ; money loose
job, beauty- age
these good things are external to full control
the good things; can not be taken from you against your will.
your judgment; can not be taken away; we cahsn always maintain this.
having desire for good thigns; wealth; health. but with good
judgement, lize they can be taken away and still relize you have not
the best thing.
therefore according to the stotics its not the good things, its the right
kind of attitudes. Proper attitudes can not be taken away.
-resignation, freedom, and indignation.
3) the best things in life are our proper attitudes to external
4) therefore, the best possible life is one in which you have proper
attitudes towards externals
if we hold onto our stotic view; we will always have good
if we want to be immune to hardships; nothing will touch urs!
evreything will go will; we control our judgement
5) such a life will be characterized by abesnce of destructive emotions
and presence of positive
- destructive emotions; anxiety; greif
stoic idea; if you live this life; when negative emotions diminish,
anger; according to stoics; refusal to accept; dont have control
- this bad emotions are improper attitudes.
if you live a life; then according to stoics; that anxiety replaced with
calmness, anger with acceptance
greif replaced with joy