The human telos is determined by our ERGON.
Our ERGON is LOGOS (reason) (The best part of our psuche[soul])
Living well is using our LOGOS well,
Which is to use it with ARETE (Virtue = excellence)
This living well, ie. Virtuously, is EUDAIMONIA (Happiness)
o How to use these to express the argument
• Idea that you can only judge how good a person's life is at the very end
Can we determine how good a life person lives even if they are a child?
• What makes it rational is the right blend
What is the rightness of the response of a certain trait?
• Need reason to figure out things -> but is it just instrumentally
• Aristotle: Wouldn't want to tie happiness to intelligence
• When we think about children and understand that higher intelligence was important, we
can understand why he is so adamant about the happiness question
• Can you have happiness only for a little while or for your whole life?
• Look at children who don't have as much intelligence as other people, but are happier
o Children can't be happy because they haven't lived out their lives yet
Would you want to judge your life at the end?
• Open to a confession of happiness that can have faces
• First half of a life that is happy and the second half painful cannot be
attributed to not a happy life
o Are children rational?
• Do they reason well?
• Intelligence is usually an relative thing
Think of intelligence in comparison to everyone else
o If this is a happy child, what it is doing reasoning to a level that we can't?
• Sense of wonder, when do you notice kids being really happy?
Not just when they're eating ice cream, grasp meaning of life when
they have a sense of wonder
• How big the solar system is, who their ancestors are,
pushing boundaries, not in the way of doing tests
• Why is reason in a broad sense, an intrinsically good thing?
Using LOGOs, reason, well
• Being curious about philosophy is using logos well
o An example of peace -> When we talk about political negotiation and conflict, it