PHIL 2504 Lecture Notes - Lecture 8: Perlocutionary Act, Illocutionary Act, Implicature

47 views3 pages

Document Summary

Semantics: meaning, how linguistic expressions relate to the world. Pragmatics: the social nature and function of language and linguistic expressions. These overlap in important ways, e. g. some say it is impossible to study any branch in isolation. We have generally focused on semantics, with some pragmatics; now we turn our focus to pragmatics. Some utterances (e. g. , i promise, i apologize) are clearly performative, and should be categorized as speech acts. Most utterances are performative in some sense. The propositional content of an utterance can be categorized as locutionary. Utterances as speech acts may have illocutionary and perlocutionary force. Illocutionary force: concerns speaker"s intentions (e. g. i urge you to . Perlocutionary force: concerns effects on hearer (e. g. i convince you that . When a sentence necessarily follows from another, it is entailed by the previous sentence. When a sentence expresses more than or something different from what it literally expresses, that extra expression is implied by the sentence.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers