Premium

2 Pages

Department
Philosophy
Course Code
PHIL 2550
Professor
Jason Millar

This preview shows half of the first page. Sign up to view the full 2 pages of the document.
Moral Intuitions
- “It’s hard to imagine any way to develop a moral theory without relying on moral intuitions
at all” (246)
The premises of moral intuitions are seen throughout the 3 basic perspectives seen at the
beginning of the course
- Definition: moral intuitions strong, stable & immediate moral beliefs
Strong in that they are held with confidence and resist counter-evidence
Stable in that they are not temporary but last a long time
Immediate because they do not arise from any process that goes through intermediate
steps of conscious teaching
Problematic?
- Philosophers say that moral institutions are problematic. Why?
Moral intuitions can lead to morally questionable actions
Do not seem to rely on rational evaluation
Might not be based on the right kinds of facts
“Moral intuitions are unreliable to the extent that morally irrelevant factors affect
moral intuitions” (247) this questions the reliably of our moral intuitions
BUT…
- We have discussed that moral intuitions seem to be unavoidable
- Seem to be required
Are we justified in relying on our moral intuitions?
- We need to know about the processes that produce moral intuitions before we can determine
whether moral intuition are justified”
- Multi-System Moral Psych showed some intuitive moral judgement
Do you push the man onto the bridge to stop the trolley? Our intuition says no
Heuristic
- Authors adopt an approach that starts from the position that moral intuitions are shaped and
driven by heuristic
- Heuristic “…any approach to problem solving, learning, or discovery that employs a
practical method not guaranteed to be optimal or perfect, but sufficient for the immediate
goals. Where finding an optimal solution is impossible or impractical, heuristic methods can
be used to speed up the process of finding a satisfactory solution. Heuristics can be mental
shortcuts that ease the cognitive load of making a decision
- Authors adopt the approach that start from the position that non-moral intuitions are driven
by heuristic
find more resources at oneclass.com
find more resources at oneclass.com

Loved by over 2.2 million students

Over 90% improved by at least one letter grade.

Leah — University of Toronto

OneClass has been such a huge help in my studies at UofT especially since I am a transfer student. OneClass is the study buddy I never had before and definitely gives me the extra push to get from a B to an A!

Leah — University of Toronto
Saarim — University of Michigan

Balancing social life With academics can be difficult, that is why I'm so glad that OneClass is out there where I can find the top notes for all of my classes. Now I can be the all-star student I want to be.

Saarim — University of Michigan
Jenna — University of Wisconsin

As a college student living on a college budget, I love how easy it is to earn gift cards just by submitting my notes.

Jenna — University of Wisconsin
Anne — University of California

OneClass has allowed me to catch up with my most difficult course! #lifesaver

Anne — University of California
Description
Moral Intuitions - “It’s hard to imagine any way to develop a moral theory without relying on moral intuitions at all” (246) • The premises of moral intuitions are seen throughout the 3 basic perspectives seen at the beginning of the course - Definition: moral intuitions strong, stable & immediate moral beliefs • Strong in that they are held with confidence and resist counter-evidence • Stable in that they are not temporary but last a long time • Immediate because they do not arise from any process that goes through intermediate steps of conscious teaching Problematic? - Philosophers say that moral institutions are problematic. Why? • Moral intuitions can lead to morally questionable actions • Do not seem to rely on rational evaluation • Might not be based on the right kinds of facts  “Moral intuitions are unreliable to the extent that morally irrelevant factors affect moral intuitions” (247)  this questions the reliably of our moral intuitions BUT… - We have discussed that moral intuitions seem to be unavoidable - Seem to be required Are we justified in relying on our moral intuitions? - We need to know about the processes that produce moral intuitions before we can determine whether moral intuition are justified” - Multi-System Moral Psych showed some intuitive moral judgement • Do you push the man onto the bridge to stop the trolley? Our intuition says no Heuristic - Authors adopt an approach that starts from the position that moral intuitions are shaped and driven by heuristic - Heuristic “…any approach to problem solving, learning, or discovery that employs a practical method not guaranteed to be optimal or perfect, but sufficient for the immediate goals. Where finding an optimal solution is impossible or impractical, heuristic methods can be used to speed up the process of finding a satisfactory solution.
More Less
Unlock Document

Only half of the first page are available for preview. Some parts have been intentionally blurred.

Unlock Document
You're Reading a Preview

Unlock to view full version

Unlock Document

OR

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit