Winter 2017

Department
Philosophy
Course Code
PHIL 2550
Professor
Jason Millar
Lecture

This preview shows page 1. Sign up to view the full 3 pages of the document.
Character II
-Application of character as an analytic tool to help us frame questions about the ethics of
artificial intelligence
Recall:
-The virtue ethics position maintains a central focus on practical reason being central to the
virtuous person
Ex. taking a nausea inducing medicine in different situations you would or would not
take it based on your practical reasoning
-Empirical evidence suggests that insignificant situational factors can significantly alter our
moral actions
A virtuous person can cut through these small factors to not be swayed
-How can it be the case that insignificant factors can throw our practical moral reasoning off
to such as degree? Is this a failure of practical reason?
Moral Disassociation
-Evidence suggests we suffer from moral disassociation
-Moral disassociation: when a person’s actions contravene moral norms that they would
otherwise endorse
Ex. the Milgram experiment
The things they would endorse are their character traits
-We need an explanation for this….
1. Rationalizing Explanations: an approach to explaining moral dissociation that attempt to
describe how the problematic behaviour made sense to the agent
Ex. Fear of embarrassment in the Milgram or Prison experiments
Successful rationalization makes the actions seem reasonable
Though they don’t act maximally, they do act rationally, so there is a hope for a fix in
character
Fear of embarrassment don’t work for the dime or lawnmower experiments
More of an in the moment explanation
2. Sanitizing Explanations: a version of rationalization that treats the action in a way that is
consistent with the overall psychological economy of a virtuous agent
Don’t involve the same level of practical reasoning like rationalization; looking at other
factors that could have affected the virtuous person
find more resources at oneclass.com
find more resources at oneclass.com

Loved by over 2.2 million students

Over 90% improved by at least one letter grade.

Leah — University of Toronto

OneClass has been such a huge help in my studies at UofT especially since I am a transfer student. OneClass is the study buddy I never had before and definitely gives me the extra push to get from a B to an A!

Leah — University of Toronto
Saarim — University of Michigan

Balancing social life With academics can be difficult, that is why I'm so glad that OneClass is out there where I can find the top notes for all of my classes. Now I can be the all-star student I want to be.

Saarim — University of Michigan
Jenna — University of Wisconsin

As a college student living on a college budget, I love how easy it is to earn gift cards just by submitting my notes.

Jenna — University of Wisconsin
Anne — University of California

OneClass has allowed me to catch up with my most difficult course! #lifesaver

Anne — University of California
Description
Character II - Application of character as an analytic tool to help us frame questions about the ethics of artificial intelligence Recall: - The virtue ethics position maintains a central focus on practical reason being central to the virtuous person  Ex. taking a nausea inducing medicine in different situations you would or would not take it based on your practical reasoning - Empirical evidence suggests that insignificant situational factors can significantly alter our moral actions  A virtuous person can cut through these small factors to not be swayed - How can it be the case that insignificant factors can throw our practical moral reasoning off to such as degree? Is this a failure of practical reason? Moral Disassociation - Evidence suggests we suffer from moral disassociation - Moral disassociation: when a person’s actions contravene moral norms that they would otherwise endorse  Ex. the Milgram experiment  The things they would endorse are their character traits - We need an explanation for this…. 1. Rationalizing Explanations: an approach to explaining moral dissociation that attempt to describe how the problematic behaviour made sense to the agent  Ex. Fear of embarrassment in the Milgram or Prison experiments  Successful rationalization makes the actions seem reasonable  Though they don’t act maximally, they do act rationally, so there is a hope for a fix in character  Fear of embarrassment don’t work for the dime or lawnmower experiments  More of an in the moment explanation 2. Sanitizing Explanations: a version of rationalization that treats the action in a way that is consistent with the overall psychological economy of a virtuous agent  Don’t involve the same level of practical reasoning like r
More Less
Unlock Document

Only page 1 are available for preview. Some parts have been intentionally blurred.

Unlock Document
You're Reading a Preview

Unlock to view full version

Unlock Document

You've reached the limit of 4 previews this month

Create an account for unlimited previews.

Already have an account?

OR

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit