Political Science
Course
PSCI 2101
Professor
Andrea Chandler
Semester
Fall

Description
Class 5Ethnicity and IdentityIdentity can make the difference between a strong and weak statea shared identity helps make society more peacefulprosperous Different identities can be related to conflictsTwo factors motivate us to act in a way Are my political views determined by interests career advancement better for everyone or identity vote based on feeling of where I belongIdentityFeeling like a member of a group and feeling like you belong to a group Who I feel I am as an individual and like it is an important part of my individual self to belong to a particular group Regional cultural etc CitizenshipoHas two related meanings1You are an individual member of a state part of a community defined by a state 2 Democratic countries being able to decide who the government is Being a member of a community of citizensoProtected by their state and consider their state their home NationoMembers of a shared community within a state But nation is typically just used as to describe every member of a state oDo nations always exist wherever there are states Not everyone feels like they are part of the same society in a stateoSeen as desirable as it helps keep a state together How do you create a sense of shared communityValuesoWhen they believe in the same thingsoParticularly when they sharea commitment to democracy
More Less

Related notes for PSCI 2101

OR

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit