PSYC 1001 Lecture Notes - Lecture 1: Phi Phenomenon, Natural Selection, Roger Wolcott Sperry

152 views7 pages

Document Summary

Science that studies behaviour and the physiological and cognitive processes that underlie it, and it is the profession that applies the accumulated knowledge of this science to practical problems. (weiten & mccann, 2013, p. 23; emphasis added) Science - using research to determine universals in human behaviour - as opposed to folk legends, intuition, palmistry, etc. Profession - includes clinical psychology (treatment of those with psychological disorders) as well as many other ways that psychological research can be applied to real life. Do others have similar dreams: many, many others (b) example of psychology as a science. Cognitive abilities: fluid or fixed: fluid: when i work harder i get more, fixed: (there is a limit to your cognitive ability) I have x ability; no more, no less: when i reach my limit, no matter how hard i try, that"s it. Study: wood & bandura (1989) social cognitive theory of organizational management.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers