PSYC 1002 Lecture Notes - Lecture 9: Electroconvulsive Therapy, Generalized Anxiety Disorder, Relaxation Technique

56 views26 pages

Document Summary

Include: discussion, advise, persuasion, emotional support, conditioning procedures, relaxation training, role-playing, drug therapy, biofeedback, and group therapy: can be classified into 3 major categories, 1. Insight therapies: client engages in verbal interactions with therapist to try to gain increased insight regarding the nature of the difficulties and to sort out possible solutions. Can be individual or group (family/marital therapy: 2. Direct efforts to alter problematic responses (ex. phobias) and maladaptive habits (ex. drug use). Many procedures but typically use classical and operant conditioning, and observational learning: 3. Biomedical therapies: i(cid:374)(cid:448)ol(cid:448)e i(cid:374)te(cid:396)(cid:448)e(cid:374)tio(cid:374)s i(cid:374)to a pe(cid:396)so(cid:374)"s (cid:271)iologi(cid:272)al functioning. Most common procedures drug and electroconvulsive (shock) therapy: 57% of mental health patients treated with medication only, psychologist in na campaigning for prescription privileges, clients: who seeks therapy, canadians are as concerned about mental health as physical. Psychology and psychiatry principle professions involved: psychologists, 2 types can provide therapy, 1. Clinical psychologists: treatment of full-fledged disorders: 2.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers