PSYC 1002 Lecture Notes - Lecture 7: Group Psychotherapy, Psychoanalysis, Antipsychotic
This preview shows half of the first page. to view the full 3 pages of the document.
Introduction to Psychology – Lecture 7
November 3, 2011
Treatment of Psychological Disorders
•Psychotherapy: refers to all the diverse approaches used in the treatment of mental
Three major characteristics of psychotherapies:
•Insight therapies: gain insight regarding the nature of the patient’s problems and to sort
through possible solutions.
- Can be conducted with one individual or with a group of patients. Involves verbal
interactions with a therapist intended to enhance the patient’s self-knowledge
and to push healthy changes in personality and behaviour.
- The main goal is for the patient to be more self-aware.
- The two types of insight therapies are:
1. Psychoanalysis: emphasizes the recovery of unconscious conflicts, thoughts,
motives and defenses. Once the unconscious sources of conflict are discovered,
the patient can better understand themselves.
- Two psychoanalytic techniques are: FREE ASSICOATION (spontaneously
expressing their thoughts exactly as they occur) and DREAM ANALYSIS
(interpreting the symbolic meaning of the patient’s dreams).
- The use of interpretation (explaining the inner significance of the patients’
thoughts, feelings, memories and behaviours), resistance (use unconscious
defensive maneuvers to obstruct the progress of therapy) and transference
(unconsciously start relating to their therapists in ways that mimic critical
relationships in their lives).
2. Rogers’ Client-Centred Therapy: emphasizes providing a supportive emotional
climate for clients, who play a major role in determining the pace and direction of
therapy and focuses on self-acceptance.
- The therapeutic process: therapist creates a supportive climate but provides little
guidance and keeps interpretations and advice to a minimum (non-direct
- Clarification is the key task for the therapist.
3. Group therapy: simultaneously treating several patients at once.
- The value of group experience is providing acceptance and emotional support for
You're Reading a Preview
Unlock to view full version