Psychology
Course
PSYC 2500
Professor
Monique Senechal
Semester
Fall

Description
th Class 2­ Sept 13  Developmental  Psychology: Genetic Basis of Child  Development • Mechanisms of Heredity 1. Biology of Heredity I. Each parent contributes 23 chromosomes. II. The first 22 are autosomes, and the 23 are the sex chromosomes III. DNA is the main component of the chromosomes. IV. Rosalind Franklin: Took X-rays of atoms in order to understand their structure. She already hinted in 1950 that DNA was a double helix. V. DNA is made up of a phosphate, sugar, and nitrogenous base. These bases are adenine, guanine, thymine, and cytosine. A combines with T, and C with G. VI. Human genome project VII. Genotype and phenotype: how one becomes the other (behavioral and physical manifestation). 2. Single Gene Inheritance I. Allele: The same gene on a pair of chromosomes. II. Remember Mendel’s pea experiment. III. HOMOZYGOUS alleles are the same, while HETEROZYGOUS alleles are different. IV. Heterozygous alleles will have a dominant and a recessive gene. 3. Genetic Disorders I. Sickle cell and cystic fibrosis are both recessive genetic disorders. II. Remember the working of the punnet square and the probability of a gene being expressed in different situations. III. The gene for Cystic Fibrosis is on chromosome 7. IV. Twin studies are ideal for studying this. V. Too many/few chromosomes can a
More Less

Related notes for PSYC 2500

OR

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit