Chris Motz (27)
Lecture 4

Lecture 4.doc

6 Pages
Unlock Document

Carleton University
PSYC 2600
Chris Motz

Lecture 4 Thursday, January 13, 2011 - O-Data o Naturalistic- realistic context. Participants quickly ignore observer, natural behaviour starts to emerge. But there’s lack of control  Can see without interrupting or biasing what they’re doing, though  Difficult to control ambient noise level, what server does, etc. o Artificial- control conditions, variables. Sacrifice realism o Professional observers- can have professionals (trained, standardized) but lack in-depth knowledge/deeper understanding of individual  Could have people who know the participant (teachers, friends, family)  But they might want to present person in positive light  We can select observers from variety of social situations (work, school, etc.) to get whole picture of the personality o Benefits  Access to information not attainable through other sources  Can use multiple observers o Limitations  Poorly trained maybe- especially with family/friends/coworkers  Speculation about motives, feelings, etc. Even people who know the individual • Ex. Observing hostile behaviour in children, see kid move arm- was he intending to hit or was he off-balance? - T-Data o Different from self-report (questionnaire, ask directly about personality) o Here, use standardized form of testing  MRI, EEG, pedometer (activity level), Rorshach ink blot o Rorshach still considered test data because we have standardized set of rules for themes that person is talking about (even though it’s projective technique) o Limitations  Person may try to guess what’s going on  May just want to be helpful (self-esteem/stress related to activity level—given pedometer—tries to alter behaviour, increase activity level)  Or may want to undermine the research  Hard to know if participant and experimenter define the situation the same way  Researcher may have unintended influence- experimenter bias - L-Data o Data from that person’s life o Report cards, medical records, criminal records, history of employment (job records), history of residence (apartment/house), etc. o Can be used to help understand life outcomes related to aspects of personality o But incredibly tough to gather, reconstruct, to get complete picture of personality - Triangulation: use multiple types of data to get picture of personality (based way to overcome limitations) o More well-rounded, complete portrait of personality- will see this later - In personality psychology, we use questionnaires o Variety of ways to construct them o Self-esteem questionnaire- point out issues in designing it o Self-esteem: the way we feel about ourselves, positive and negative evaluation of self o 10 questions, Likert-type response (0-10) o For each question, can respond on that scale o 0- strongly disagree, 10- strongly agree o Do you want to have a mid-point? Option to say neither agree nor disagree? There will be some participant who always stays on the fence.  You may want to force them to recognize their have a leaning on one direction. o Reverse-score questions as a control—if person just wants to circle 10 on everything, it forces him/her to read all the questions—otherwise, can tell quickly whether the person has read the questions o Good question gives participants the opportunity to go on either side of the midpoint  In reality, there is an average to which we all cluster. Same for any personality characteristic—for the most part, we cluster around the middle.  There are some of us who have freakishly high self-esteem, some are at the other end.  Good question gives a chance for the people in the middle to be on the center, the people at each extreme to say they’re at the end. Reveals the differences in the population.  **Bad question: I always feel as though I’m the best person in the world. • Majority would strongly disagree • Only a few at the agree end • Skewed distribution • Nothing meaningful- we don’t see the variation in the group  **Bad question: At least occasionally, I don’t feel that I’m a terrible person. • Big cluster of people will strongly agree • Very few at the strongly disagree end • Skewed distribution • Nothing meaningful about group  We want naturally existing bell curve (normal distribution)  **Good question: I feel that I have a number of good qualities • High self esteem would agree, low self esteem would disagree, majority would be in the middle  **Good question: I’m able to do things as well as most people.  **Good question: I feel that I’m a person of worth at least on an equal basis as others. o Frequency distribution shows us the spread of scores on any one variable —the height of the curve represents the frequency  Spread of scores shows spread of data points in sample  If we do this enough, get a big enough sample of participants  Because we’ve designed a good enough questionnaire, get a natural bell curve o Reliability and validity- we’ll discuss them as they apply to questionnaire. But we can also talk about how they apply to study.  Reliability- consistent, accurate results • Standardized procedures • Standardized script, ordering of materials, manipulations in study • Eliminate error that might come from inconsistency in application of materials/instructions to participants • We want the test to be reliable too  Validity- all the variables have to be clearly defined, tests have to measure what they claim to measure • Lack of validity- wrong operational definition of validity (smiling shows happiness- could have nervous smile) - Correlational study- just studying things as they ex
More Less

Related notes for PSYC 2600

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.