Class Notes (837,623)
Canada (510,370)
Psychology (2,710)
PSYC 2700 (126)
Lecture

Cognitive Pscy: Multi-store model, Visual Perception, Erasure of Sensory Memory,

5 Pages
Unlock Document

Department
Psychology
Course
PSYC 2700
Professor
Chris Herdman
Semester
Fall

Description
th Lecture 2­ Sept. 16  Cognitive  Psychology 2700 • Multi-Store model of Memory: The idea that info flows through our system. I. Environmental input: sound, vision, etc. II. Sensory registers: Aka. Sensory memory. Visual, auditory, etc. III. *Short term store: temporary working memory. Rehearsal, coding, decisions, retrieval strategies. This can trigger a response output. IV. *Long term store: Permanent memory V. These memory stores can be differentiated based on i. Encoding ii. Duration iii. Capacity iv. Type of Code • Basics of Visual Perception I. Sensation i. Reception of stimulation from environment ii. Initial encoding into nervous system. II. Perception i. Process of interpreting sensory information III. Sensory Structure: Light waves project onto retina (p.77) i. Rods, cones, bipolar cells, ganglion cells, ii. Rods/cones, black layer of neurons iii. First to be stimulated by light waves iv. Neural firing pattern from rod/cones to bipolar cells, then to ganglion cells. v. Axons of ganglion cells form bundle called optic nerve vi. Nerve projects back to send neural message to visual cortex in occipital lobe IV. Cones are for color vision; rods are for black and white. V. Compression: Only fraction of light waves reaches the retina. Especially in peripheral vision, because we don’t need detail. • How is information gathered? I. Series of fixation-saccade cycles: moving our eyes around in a certain way, rapid twitches II. Saccades i. Eyes move in jerky patterns ii. Not smooth iii. Variable: 25ms-175ms- iv. Nothing “seen” during this III. Fixations i. Eyes pause to foveate and take in info ii. Fovea is where highest resolution in eye is • Sensory Memory: Neural activation in the retina is brief and terminates with external stimulation. The perception of the event persists after stimulus is terminated. This implies that a memory system exists. There is a memory system for each sense. I. Encoding: i. Happens over time. ii. Sensory memory is activated by stimuli from the environment. Sensory memory gets into our minds over time. If we do not see something long enough, we don’t perceive all of it. It has been shown that it takes about 20ms to get stimuli into out system. II. Duration: i. Brief ii. Erikson and Collins Superimposed dot patterns: showed random patterns and varied the time between patterns. When two patterns are shown closely enough together, the letters can still be perceived. If they are shown far enough apart, two separate patterns are seen and the letters were not perceived III. Capacity: i. Large ii. Whole report technique: showed people a bunch of numbers and asked them to report everything that they said. This would lead us to believe that the sensory memory is very small. iii. Partial report technique: showed the same numbers and asked them to
More Less

Related notes for PSYC 2700

OR

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit